Monday, October 1, 2007

Thing 22 II

Project Gutenberg was recommended to me several year ago by lindabeekeeper when I was looking for an essay written by Thomas Paine on taxes. I fell in love with the site at once since it had all sorts of primary sources from antiquity.(History is my favorite subject!). Linda immediately became my personal librarian, at least in my mind, and I proceeded to print this and that from the site.

Even tho' I love Project Gutenberg I never plan on using audio books for anything. I hate the very idea of listening to books and whenI have listened to them I have to sit still and listen; I can't be doing other things while I listen, I must just listen.
So no audio books for me unless,God forbid, I lose my sight. Then Project Gutenberg will be for me and I will scour the earth for the kinds of audiobooks that I like because that's what I do now for the kind of old school books that I like.

All of this is not to say that other people shouldn't want and like to listen to recorded books. My mother loves them and I've recommended many authors to her. My mother doesn't want to be computer savvy so online audio books are not for her,but now that I know that Project Gutenberg and NetOverdrive have recorded books available I will certainly let the patrons know who already do talking books and maybe there'll be converts...

No comments: